There are different kinds of abuse such as sexual-; physical- and emotional abuse. Neglecting a child is also a form of abuse. Physical abuse is the intentional infliction of an injury on a child.
Physical indicators that a Child is Being Physically Abused:
The victim’s body will exhibit:
- Bite marks
- Bruises on uncommonly injured body surfaces
- High incidence of accidents or frequent injuries
- Fractures/broken bones in unusual places such as the skull, ribs etc
- Injuries, swellings to face and extremities
- Discolouration of skin
- Blunt-instrument marks
- Human hand marks
- Multiple injuries at different stages of healing
- Evidence of poor care/failure to thrive
Behavioural Indicators of Physical Child Abuse:
- Avoids physical contact with others
- Is apprehensive when other children cry
- Wears clothing to purposely conceal injury, such as long sleeves
- Refuses to undress for sport or for required physical exams at school
- Give inconsistent versions about occurrences of injuries
- Seems frightened of parents
- Is often late/absent from school
- Comes to school early and seems reluctant to go home afterwards
- Has difficulty getting along with others
- Plays aggressively and often hurts peers
- Complains of pain upon movement or contact
- Has a history of running away from home.
If you are a parent the please take the time and trouble to educate and teach your children:
– to never get into a car with someone they do not know.
– to not accept gifts, food or drinks from a person they do not know.
– to never open a front door or window to people they do not know.
– to tell you where they are going and when they will return.
– that their body is private and they have the right to say no.